Preparing Your Home for Sale – Part 4 of 5 – Bedrooms/Basements
Continued from Part 3 – Kitchen and Baths
Moving on to the bedrooms…
- New bedspreads if possible will make the room look great and can be taken with you when you move.
- Make beds everyday. (Children will receive a prize at closing. Ask Nancy about the Junior Listing Agreement.)
- Headboards free and clean of clutter.
- All children’s toys put away.
- Remove bulky furniture, room will appear larger.
- Remove dark or outdated wallpaper. Paint if needed with light neutral color.
- Clean out closets (50% rule.) Make them appear as if there is plenty of room to spare.
- Install closet organizers and keep clothes neat.
- Organize shoes.
Master Bedrooms (One of the most important rooms in the house)
- Remove all excessive furniture.
- Closets 50% rule, no clutter on floor. (Seasonal clothing only in closet.)
- New bedspread, open curtains.
- No clutter on top of furniture.
- Clean ceiling fans and light fixtures.
Room Over Garage
- Make sure the staircase up is clean of debris and the handrail is tight and secure.
- Remove excessive furniture.
Garage / Basement
- Remove stains from garage floors.
- Make garage and basement look functional and well organized.
- Clean all windows/cobwebs in corners etc.
- Do not store extra boxes in garage (consider renting a storage unit).
- Spray with “Simple Solution” to give a fresh smell.
- Make sure porch is clean and swept.
- Cobwebs removed.
- Furniture is clean and orderly, not excessive.
- Clean and nail down any loose boards.
- Consider staining with sealer stain.
- All rails are to be secure.
- Make sure all steps are tight.